
So, I'm only half way through this book, but already I've decided it's one of my favorite reads ever. I've been reading quite a few running books this year, just to keep my motivation up for my marathon training, and since I'm trying a new training program, I've decided there's a ton you can learn about running. Anyway, with all the books I've read, this one is definitely my favorite!
Even for a non-runner, it's motivating!! But, especially if you're a female runner!
So, it's a memoir or autobiography written by Kathrine Switzer about her life and her running career. It is very well written, because she has a masters degree and was a journalist for years, it's a lot better read than a lot of runners can write, simply because she knows how to make it interesting. But the fact that she was the first woman to officially run the Boston Marathon, 1967, and during it was attacked by a race official who tried to force her out by ripping her number off her shirt, is incredibly brave. The running community credits her for the transition of women being involved in marathons, and even organized women's sports in general. She also was the winner of the 1974 New York Marathon and was one of the main reasons why the women's marathon was added to the olympics in 1984. It's very educational as well as entertaining. The historical events that took place during her lifetime are incredible.
This is the photo of Kathrine and Jock Semple, as her boyfriend actually knocks him down so they could continue of their way!
It's crazy for me to think about how that was really not that long ago! And to think, she was not allowed to go out and run in a race. The craziest thing to me, is that it wasn't just the old school male race officials who didn't want her running the races. A lot of the criticism was from females! That baffles me.
This is another photo of Kathrine and Jock Semple, the race official who previously tried to take her numbers off. She said that this was his way of trying to ask for an apology at the Boston Marathon a few years later. I actually kind of feel bad for the guy. He has taken a lot of heat over the years because of the whole thing. But, it just goes to show what someone can do to change the minds of virtually the whole worlds view of women in sports if they set their mind to it!

Anyway, it's a great book for anyone to read, especially a woman interested in running. I am definitely new to the sport of distance running and marathons. I am by no means a professional or for that matter very good. After my first attempt swore I would never run one again. I decided last fall that I had to run another one, with better odds at getting the time goal I want. And have since stated that if I get my goal, it may be the last marathon I run for now because of the time commitment and effort it takes. But after reading this book, I'm not sure how anyone could just stop running. So, the story of what the future holds for me and running is yet to come!
2 comments:
That's awesome Jenn! I'm gonna have to read this book too. I read an article about her once in Runners World magazine but I didn't realize she had a book. Thanks for sharing this!
WOW that is AMAZING--sounds like an awesome book!! You are my hero!! You are so good--running marathons!!! I can't even imagine!! The training and how disciplined you are with small children!! Keep up the great work!! I am VERY IMPRESSED!!
Post a Comment