Sunday, June 10, 2012

Utah Valley Half Marathon & KidsK

A friend of mine hooked me up with a free race pass to the Utah Valley Half Marathon. It was sweet! Anyway, I had some pretty good training runs this spring, and felt really good this year. I didn't have any injuries, and very few aches and pains. I should have trained a little better on hills. But I felt like I could try for a new PR. I ran the Top Of Utah Half last year in 1:47, so I was trying for 1:45. I was so excited when I came in at 1:44! YAY! My friend Jen ran it and was excited to enjoy running again. My sister in law Megan also ran it, and set herself a new PR and got to run with a friend from high school. While I was running, I saw a couple of old neighbors from Saratoga Springs, and was reminded of how many wonderful friends I had there. Then, when I got home and looked at the pictures Rett took, I noticed a friend from the old neighborhood at the finish line right next to me. Silly that I didn't see her during the actual race, but she's in my pictures! I felt pretty good after the run, and didn't even think I was going to be sore, until I woke up the next morning and my legs were pretty sore. Crew loves to ask what your favorite part of something is, and my favorite thing about running is when I get to the end and see my family! I am so grateful that I have the blessing of a strong physical body that allows me to do something I love and keep myself in shape.

At the end of my 13.1!
Over my right shoulder is
my old neighbor Brooke!
Megan, in white, and her
friend Rachel.
Megan & Jenn
Me & My Boys!

Crew has been really excited to run a race for a while now. We talked about it before my last half, but it was a lot of money for a kids race, so we didn't do it. This one was FREE! The kids got a little t-shirt, and it was the perfect distance for them. Crew had a really good time, and says he wants to do it again. Drake pulled one of his social anxiety things and TJ said half way through the race, he looked down and Drake looked like he was about to cry, so they walked the rest of the race. When they got to where we were standing, and he noticed us cheering for him, he looked away, and wouldn't even look at us! At the finish, he just wanted to go to the car. And when we asked him, he said he never wanted to do it again. I'm so proud of my boys for doing the race. And I am so glad they tried something that I love. And even if Drake doesn't want to do it again, that's ok, because he is a great cheerer! Love you boys and your Dad and Uncle for helping you race! 

Rett & Crew, TJ & Drake
Getting ready for the KidsK Race!
Crew & Rett at the finish!
Drake & TJ at the finish!

My wonderfully supportive family!
Crew & Drake
Love the costume Crew!
Love the crooked smile Drake!

1 comment:

Kristen said...

Congratulations!!! That is awesome. Way to go!