Sunday, January 2, 2011

Rett's Elk



We picked up Rett's elk from the taxidermist a couple of weeks ago. Rett was so excited. It was so cute. Just like a little boy on Christmas morning! I was just happy that he was so excited. Of course, we drove home from Utah on Sunday evening and the power was out when we got home. But that didn't stop the guy from wanting to hang it. Luckily the power wasn't out for very long, so we got some lights on, and got the elk hung on the wall. We had the elk at the taxidermist last year, before we sold our home and everything, so it just so happened that our new home has the perfect place for the elk to hang. If you don't remember the post about the elk, Rett and I were together when he shot it with his bow last summer. We were super excited for his first big game bow hunt that turned out so exciting! Here's a reminder picture of the hunt itself.



And this is one of my favorite things about this elk. He has this cool rhino point.

I know there are friends and family out there that think I'm crazy for being involved in the hunting stuff and letting animals hang on my walls. I actually don't mind it at all. Rett and I had so much fun on this hunt together. We created lot's of great memories and were active while doing it. We were able to enjoy the outdoors and some beautiful and amazing parts of nature. And as far as the animals on the wall, they are just a reminder of those great memories. And seriously, if you still can't get over it, I will just say, if that's the worst thing I have to put up with in my marriage, then I feel pretty good about it!

I'm glad there are simple things in life that make Rett so happy. Like slowing down over bridges to check the river for ducks or geese. Or stopping on the side of the road to show the boys deer or elk. Or training his dogs and learning more about how to make such a great dog. Rett is a big outdoorsman, and I wouldn't change that for anything. I love that he has such a great appreciation for animals and the outdoors. I love that he has passion about things in life. And I love that he is teaching those things to his boys as well.

No comments: