Monday, February 27, 2012

Drake's Burn

This is an awful mom story....I've had a couple of these instances that I've been negligent as a mother....I just feel really bad! The one with Crew was the falling out of the truck story. If you haven't heard it, you should check it out, it's a sad mommy day!



Well, this time's not quite as much my fault. But I wish I would have paid closer attention to what was going on in the kitchen! Friday night we were making breakfast for dinner. I had french toast on my electric griddle on the island, and then I was at the stove, with my back towards the island, working on bacon and eggs. My boys climb up on the island often. We always tell them to get down because they could get hurt, it's not good manners, and they might knock something down. Drake apparently climbed up on the island. He says to smell the french toast because it smelled so yummy. Well, then he somehow slipped, and burnt his face on the griddle, and then fell on the floor. I ignored his crying because the boys get hurt all day long, or are fighting, and if I ran every-time they cried, I'd never get anything done. Finally, I asked Rett to help him calm down. When Rett came in the kitchen 1-2 minutes later, he noticed how red his cheek was. We got it under cold water, put an ice pack on it, put some burn gel bandage things on it, and hoped he'd be ok. And he is ok. I just felt so bad that we didn't help the poor kid out as soon as it happened. We got some silvadine from a doctor and have been using the handy aloe vera plant and it's healing. The first day or two he was in a lot of pain, but he seems to be fine now.


This picture is three days after the burn. So, it is healing and getting better. Drake made the picture look like he's dying. He was in tons of pain, but today, he's actually doing fine. But he's a great poser!

It's kind of funny because Saturday we were in a store that had a metal bar connected to the check out. I had just finished explaining to the lady what happened to his face, and he started crying. He got his arm stuck in the bar. It took me a few minutes to get his arm out without hurting him. The lady told me as we left "You better watch him more closely"! Wow! He's a monkey, and he and Crew are always doing stuff that I'm amazed hasn't resulted in broken bones. They're boys. They're crazy. I feel like I do watch them pretty well. But it's nearly impossible to keep a close eye on them constantly! And even if I do, they still end up doing stuff that hurts them. It just usually isn't this bad!

We wanted to keep the stuff on his face at night without him rubbing it all over his pillow and blankets, so we thought we'd put gauze on it and then wrap it up. That didn't really last. Drake hated it. And wined and cried nonstop, until he finally took it off and threw it at me! I was actually kind of ok, because he wouldn't fall asleep with it on, and it was getting pretty late for him to be up. But I thought he looked so cute, that I made him put it back on for a minute today so I could take a picture. He obviously didn't think it needed documentation like I did!

4 comments:

LassiterFamily said...

OMG that is terrible I am so sorry. I hate those moments and I have had plenty of them.

Lifewithmyboys said...

Holy Cow, that is a bad burn - poor little guy. I am SO sorry for him and you - I hate those bad mom moments. I can't believe how grown up he is though!
- Cortni

Dave said...

Ouch!! Poor little guy!! You have your hands so full! Don't forget you are a wonderful mom!!! Those boys are so lucky to have you and I mean all 3 boys!!!

Teisha said...

Ooh, that looks like it hurts. I giggled just a little when I read your story and saw the pictures, because boys really are crazy little monkeys! Then I stopped laughing when I realized that I'm going to be raising a boy! I've been so use to my mellow girl...I'm not sure what I'm going to do with a boy!