I woke up at 2:30 am, threw my clothes on, and got all of my gear, and took off for Salt Lake at 2:45. I got to the parking at Rice Eccles Stadium at 3:30, finished putting on my sunscreen, vaseline on my toes, and all the other good stuff that goes with distance running. I hopped on the bus and headed up the canyon. All around me people were chatting about how this was their 11th time doing this marathon, this was their 238th marathon, or how this was a training for the 50 or 100 miler next month! What a bunch of crazies!!! Once we got up the canyon, the bus dropped us off and I waited in line for the porta-potties a couple of times. Then it was about time to take off.
The beginning of the run was very steep down hill. But it felt good. Then at mile 6, there was a long steep climb up a hill that was about 3 miles long. I surprised myself and actually did really well at keeping my pace up the hill. At about mile 12, I noticed that my calves were already hurting. Just sore and tight. I tried to stretch them a few times, but it didn't really seem to help, so I gave up on that and just kept running. Most of the rest of the run was down hill or flat. At mile 24, I was ahead of schedule for making it under my 4 hour goal. Rett and the boys have missed me before, so I told them I'd call them there. I told Rett, I was right on schedule and that I'd be at the finish in 15-20 minutes. Later yesterday, he said he was really worried when it had been half an hour and he still hadn't seen me!!! Well, that's because I thought I was going to die. I just couldn't find the strength to keep running. So, this sweet lady, who is a crazy 50 miler, and who had done four big races in the last four weeks, was beat, and said she'd walk with me. We were sneaky though, we ran the block of the parade that we intersected with and we ran the very end. So it looked like we were cool. I ended up finishing at 4 hours and 13 minutes. Over my goal, but I finished it!
I was so stinking tired afterwards. I sat down to stretch and Rett asked why my inner thighs were all bloody. They are completely raw! I have had no problems with chafing before, and I can't believe they got so bad. It must have been my form from being so tired. My feet hurt like crazy. Both feet have toe nails falling off. I have huge blisters all over them too. I also have chafing under my armpits and on my chest, where I shoved some gu at the beginning in my sports bra. I am so sore. This morning, way more than last night. My stomach, every part of my legs, my shoulders, my back, everywhere my muscles ache. And to top it all off, last night, I thought I'd sleep like a rock. No such luck. My stomach was so upset all night long. It's gross. I would wake up in hot sweats and then cold chills. I felt like I needed to eat, but had a hard time making myself eat something. I anticipated the muscle soreness, but not the stomach upset or hot sweats or chills. Maybe tonight I'll sleep better? Oh wait, I have to work at Costco doing inventory from 5 until midnight! Ughh!
So, you ask why. Well, like I said, I have wanted to run a marathon once in my life. Before mile 20, I actually thought I'd want to do it again. Not so much now. I am glad I did it. And I'm proud of my time. I thought a lot during the first 20 miles about my life, and the people in it. I thought about how grateful I am to my Savior for sacrificing way more than I did yesterday, for me and my family. I thought about the pioneers who had to take this route, with a much more difficult and longer journey than me to the Salt Lake Valley. I thought about my Dad, who I miss terribly, but I know I will see again some day. I thought about my brother Joshua's challenges being in a wheelchair and how positive and strong he is. I thought about how lucky I am to have a husband who loves and supports me even when I come up with crazy ideas like this. I thought about how blessed I am to have two healthy and happy little boys, who have taught me so much. I thought about so many friends, neighbors, and co-workers. Lot's of thinking and contemplating. I know that I am a strong woman. And that I can accomplish whatever tasks I face in life. That's why I did this. I may have to slow down at some point, but I'll keep going.
Rett and the boys were great to wait for me. The boys had a ton of fun clapping for all the runners coming in. My little niece even joined me for the last little bit and, sadly, she was running much faster than I was! And she pointed that out, to which I said, yes, you are right Maggie. And she said, but you've been running for a long time! Rett's brother TJ came up with him to drive my car home for me. My sister brought her three kids up by herself to support me. And so many friends in my neighborhood sent me cute messages of support and encouragement. I am so grateful! That's what got me through. This was, for me, harder than child birth, because I had an epidural or spinal with my boys. And it wasn't nearly as rewarding as having a new baby in your arms. So, I will never ever want to run a marathon again. I think in the future, I'll stick with half marathons. It was fun, I was only a little sore for a day or so, and I really enjoyed it. But, I am glad I did this! Crazy me!
My cute boys cheering on runners as they passed!
This is me at the end, with the cute lady who helped me get through the walking of the last couple of miles.
And my niece running with me to the finish line.
My cute family there to support me. I'm actually surprised I didn't look worse. Because I sure felt worse than I looked!!
9 comments:
Oh my gosh Jenn I'm sitting here bawling my eyes out reading about all the things you thought about while running! You are one amazing girl! Congrats on completing your marathon!
Way to huss Jenn! I can't believe that there are people out there that can push their bodies to the limits like that and actually enjoy it. It's sick. But I know what you mean about accomplishing a goal no matter what the dang consequences are. Good luck with the healing process!
Awesome Jenn! I'm glad you got to do the marathon and I enjoyed reading about your experience running it. It's funny all the things you think about when you're running for that long of a period of time. Congratulations for accomplishing your goal!
You're my hero! Congrats on finishing the race. That's such an amazing accomplishment! -Teisha
Welcome to the marathoners club!! What a great time to finish in. What a great year you have had, way to go!!
You truly are amazing! What a great husband and family you have. :) We need to get our kids together soon.
Jenn, that is so great! I am sorry it wasn't better experience! But what an amazing accomplishment! I want to attempt one some day! I hope you have recovered and are feeling better!Way to go!!
YAY! First off, you look so stinkin' cute?! Is that one of those running skirts? I'm so proud of you! Mile 24 was when it got me too, ouch, the pain. But just so you know, your time beat my time! You did so freakin' awesome! I'm glad I got to read all about. I have been thinking about you and wondering how it went. Congrats and it's too soon to say whether or not you will do another. But I do think that a half would be more fun too. Far enough you have to train, but not so far that you are DEAD for days, weeks, months...I'm so proud!PS your boys are getting so BIG! They are so cute!
I found you! Okay, congrats on the marathon. That is a really good time too! Ouch, you made me hurt and never want to run a marathon again either with your description. I'm glad it's over, and look at what you accomplished! You are amazing!!!
Post a Comment