Drake has been super excited for preschool to start. He just wanted to be like his big brother and go to school. The first day of preschool, they ask one of the parents to spend the time there with the child. Before the big day arrived, Drake kept saying that he didn't need me to go with him because he was tough and already knew about Crew's old preschool. But right before, he decided he'd like me to be there with him, even though he was tough! So, we arranged for Crew to go to a neighbors, and Drake and I headed to preschool.
I have been pretty interested to see how this would all work out. I knew he was excited, so that would help a lot, but I also know that Drake has some social anxiety issues. He just really does not like to be around a lot of people. And he's a home body for sure. The first day he did really well. He was excited to play with the puzzles and toys. They rotate jobs every day of preschool, so each child gets a turn to bring a class pet home, bring a snack, lead the pledge of allegiance, tell the weather, put the date on the calendar, etc. Crew's class pet last year was Cinnamon, a horse. So, at our home, we have been excited about the class pet for a while now. However, Drake's class pet is a dog. But he's still excited for his turn with it. His first day, it was his turn to lead the pledge. When the teacher asked him to say "Please Stand" he wouldn't. So, she had to say it for him. I am hoping this year in preschool Drake builds some confidence around groups of people, is able to make friends and play well with others, and is more comfortable being around others. We'll keep you posted about how his first day without Mom there goes! I am very excited for Drake to learn and be growing up. He's such a happy boy. He's not as social as Crew is, but he loves learning and is a smart boy.
A brief Kindergarten Update! Crew is still loving school. He is dressed and ready to go at 7 am still. He loves the nutrition break they get at school! It's always the highlight of the day. He also loves recess. And he's learning that life with other people means not always having perfect little playmates. He's got a boy that likes to copy him on the bus, kids have teased him about what he's wearing, and, kids taking balls from him at recess, and teasing him about what he wants to play. Life is full of hard lessons, but I don't remember them starting quite this young when I was in school! I was just a playful and happy kindergartner. Rett and I have had conversations about how fine the line between letting your kid get picked on and taken advantage of and being Christlike. It seems like you this shouldn't have come up for a while yet. But we will hopefully be able to teach Crew to be patient and understanding with others, to be Christlike, and to get along well, even if the other kids are not the sweetest little darlings! And I probably would rather be a mother of a child who gets picked on a little than a child who is a big bully! And even though he often comes home with stories of kids being not so nice, he still loves school. And that makes Rett and I happy. And I hope it never changes!
No comments:
Post a Comment