Sunday, September 23, 2012

We are Trappers

Ok, so we're not really trappers, but we have trapped some skunks this summer! They were eating our corn. It made me angry. So I asked Rett to help take care of it for me. And he did. The boys thought it was awesome. Originally we thought it must have been a raccoon, but since we only trapped skunks, we decided otherwise! We were disappointed in our dogs for not keeping them away, but they do sleep in dog houses inside the shop, and with their doors closed, it is probably pretty hard to hear anything. So I guess we'll give them a break.

Once we trapped the skunks, we didn't really know what to do with them. We decided the most humane thing to do, while ensuring we did not get sprayed was to just shoot them instead of starving them to death or something. The boys once again, thought this was super cool. And of course, we had to take some pictures of our little adventures.

This is what they did to my beautiful ears of corn every night! I lost around a dozen ears every night.


Here is one of the little critters!


And here's Rett and the boys taking care of the problem.


Our garden did really well this year again. I am loving the space to be able to garden. It is wonderful to have fresh veggies and it is so fun to see things growing. Our peas were the only thing that did really poorly this year. But we had a great crop of corn, green beans, broccoli, onions, turnips, beets, cucumbers, radishes, potatoes, and squash. I'm still getting lots of tomatoes, onions, squash, and pumpkins. And this year we tried some new things, like watermelon, cantaloupe, artichoke, and eggplant. We also transplanted a bunch of raspberry starts from a neighbor and they are already growing raspberries like crazy this year! We are turning into gardeners. I for sure don't know everything about it. And I'm learning things each year. But we definitely love gardening!

No comments: