Sunday, March 15, 2015

Drake Wrestling

Drake really wanted to wrestle this year. I wasn't quite sure how it would work out. But he has done great. We have taken him to two meets, one in Preston and one at West Side. They wrestle twice at each match. And Drake has won all four. In fact, his second one at West Side, he actually pinned the boy, which was awesome, and rarely happens I'm told! Although, I am not sure what happened after the second time at West Side, because he did great, but he came to me crying. I'm not sure if he was just exhausted or what. He didn't even get a break between these two. I kept trying to find out what it was that upset him, but he gets upset and shuts down and doesn't want to talk about it. But we are sure proud of his hard work. He is so fun to watch. He's pretty intense and serious about the whole thing. We signed both Crew and Drake up for wrestling a couple years ago, and Crew practiced but didn't really care about going to the matches, so we never went to one. And at that point in time, Drake was struggling with his social anxiety, so he wouldn't even practice. I just chalked it up as a $15 shirt. So, I was surprised this year when he kept asking if he could go to the meets. I asked him what he was going to do because I had no idea what to tell him to do, and he said "I'm going to use my moves!". And he did! It was great! After the first meet, when Drake couldn't get the kids off of their stomach, Dad helped by watching you tube videos of the "half nelson" move, and they practiced it a bunch. And you can see, he is using the move at this meet. Way to go Dad and Drake on figuring it out! We may try to make one last meet this week and see how it goes. Last week, right after this meet, he kept saying he didn't want to do it again. But now, he's saying he might like to try one more. It really is a different sport. I am not sure it's my favorite. It seems a little harsh and aggressive. But if it is something Drake likes and excels at, I will support him in it. I'm just not quite ready to see him in a wrestling singlet yet!!!


 


No comments: