Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Crew's Birthday Cakes

This is the cake that my family made for Crew when we were in Oregon. Cars! He loves them! Thanks cute family! We love you!



This is the cake I made for Crew. He loves tractors. I had a lot of fun making this cake. I told Rett that I am not very good at decorating cakes and he said, "You'll get a lot of practice in the next few years with little boys cakes! So, then you will be good!"



Anyway, we put a number two candle on the side of the cake, and Crew blew it out like a champ!



I was scared of the green frosting, so I took off his shirts. And, of course, he wanted to put the whole thing in his mouth at once!



I can't believe my first child is already two years old! They really do grow up so fast! Happy birthday Crew! We love you, little wild man!

I got a few questions about how I made the cake, so I thought I'd edit this post and tell you! I purchased a pantastic cake pan/jello mold. They are plastic, but can be baked in. Then I used colored chocolate wafers you can buy at a craft store or cake or candy store, and I melted the chocolate and spread it into the very bottom of the cake pan. After that hardened, I popped it out, and I actually cracked it into a couple of pieces, but you could hardly tell. Then I baked the cake like normal. I frosted the whole cake with green frosting and then set the chocolate mold on the top of it. It was actually really easy and turned out really cute. I got the idea online by searching tractor cakes, but you could actually do that for any cake! I think it's a pretty good idea!

3 comments:

Jamie said...

Jenn, your tractor cake is ADORABLE! How on earth did you make that? It looks perfect! What a fun birthday - glad you got to celebrate with both families. Time goes by so fast with little kids. Hard to believe he is already 2!

Mary T. said...

Holy Cow!! I love the cake---like Jamie says---it looks PERFECT!! Nice job!! I can't believe he is TWO already!! YIKES time is FLYING!!

Christian and Mindie said...

Ok wow. So I haven't looked at anyone's blog lately and then I find this masterpiece cake? See I'm the kind of mom who orders her children's cakes from the dang Walmart. I am not talented in the kitchen so why ruin my kid's birthday trying to be??? Way to huss Jen!