Sunday, June 28, 2009

Wasatch Back Relay



I thought I'd let you all know how my race went. It was a great relay from Logan to Park City with 11 amazing girls from my neighborhood. It was a total of 180 miles. We started in Logan at 8am Friday and arrived in Park City on Saturday at 6pm. That's a long time to be in a car, and a long way to run! But it was such a fun race. You had your first 6 runners in one vehicle, and the last 6 in the other. I was runner 3. I ran my first leg Friday at 10am and it was already pretty hot. I ran through Nibley and by Hyrum Reservoir. It was very pretty. It was 5.6 miles and I did well, just hot. My second leg was Friday evening at 8:30, and it was perfect. I ran between Mountain Green and Morgan Valley. It was kind of residential, but still pretty. Slight breeze, cool, and just before dark. I loved it. My last run was Saturday morning at 10 and was 8 miles up climbing between Oakley and Heber. It was really pretty. Starting up the hill it started to rain. Which at first was fine, but then got pretty cold. I would rather have it cold though over hot. Anyway, it was a huge hill and I really just wanted to quit. I saw a four wheeler trail and wished Rett and the boys would come pick me up on the Rhino and I could just be done. But, I didn't quit. It stopped raining, and at first I was glad, but then it was really humid and hard to breath. I made it to the summit and then started down the 6% grade. Ughh...It was really hard down too. Anyway, my team was great. It was so awesome because you could shadow the runner, so the vehicle would wait for the runner, cheer them on, then wait a while, cheer for them as they passed by them, and then wait again. It was so helpful! And so much fun! Everyone did well and there were no major catastrophies. Besides losing the keys to one vehicle for a couple of hours, freaking out, calling a husband to bring us the extra set in Ogden, and then finding them in one of our girls bra! And the last girl ran in Park City in the worst rain storm ever. Anyway, I learned way more about these girls than I ever wanted to know, but also became way better friends than I've had in a long time. It was challenging, fun, tiring, and long. But I would do it again if I knew I'd be with girls that were so cool. Rett and the boys survived the weekend without me (two nights!). And I have never been happier to be home! I'm sore and probably not a great wife to my poor husband on Father's Day and our Anniversary. Thanks for being interested in my race! You are all great supporters! And if you ever get a chance, this is an awesome type of race to run! I loved it!

3 comments:

Meg said...

Way to go!! I'm so jealous I wasn't able to run it with you guys.

Brooklyn said...

That's awesome Jenn! I'm so glad you girls got to do that and finished well! Funny, I was the third runner too when I ran it 2 yrs ago. I didn't get to pick my legs though but I thought they were beautiful areas to run in. Talk to you later...

Christian and Mindie said...

You are a real woman. Way to huss on accomplishing such a big goal. It definitely motivates me to start running....I just need to have this baby first.....I tried running to induce labor and it wasn't pretty. So I'll wait till after to try again.